Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Philo, (older translation of Philo)
This is a Jewish philosopher and Biblical commentator who was a rough contemporary of Jesus.
- Philo, and Charles Duke Yonge. The Works of Philo Judæus: The Contemporary of Josephus. 4 vols. London: Henry G. Bohn, 1855.
- Philo, Leopold Cohn, Paul Wendland, and Siegfried Reiter. Philonis Alexandrini opera quae supersunt. Berolini: Typ. et impensis G. Reimeri, 1896. (Greek, edited by Cohn & Wendland) (editio minor)
- Philo, F. H. Colson, G. H. Whitaker, and Ralph Marcus. Philo: In Ten Volumes (and Two Supplementary Volumes). Cambridge, Mass: Harvard University Press, 1929.
Volume I: On the Creation. Allegorical Interpretation of Genesis 2 and 3
Volume II: On the Cherubim. The Sacrifices of Abel and Cain. The Worse Attacks the Better. On the Posterity and Exile
Volume III: On the Unchangeableness of God. On Husbandry. Concerning Noah’s Work As a Planter. On Drunkenness. On Sobriety
Volume IV: On the Confusion of Tongues. On the Migration of Abraham. Who Is the Heir of Divine Things? On Mating with the Preliminary Studies
Volume V: On Flight and Finding. On the Change of Names. On Dreams
Volume VI: On Abraham. On Joseph. On Moses
Volume VII: On the Decalogue. On the Special Laws, Books 1-3
Volume VIII: On the Special Laws, Book 4. On the Virtues. On Rewards and Punishments
Volume IX: Every Good Man is Free. On the Contemplative Life. On the Eternity of the World. Against Flaccus. Apology for the Jews. On Providence
Volume X: On the Embassy to Gaius. General Indexes
Volume XI: Supplement I: Questions and Answers on Genesis
Volume XII: Supplement II: Questions and Answers on Exodus
This is a Jewish historian a few years after Jesus.
- Josephus, Flavius, H. St. J. Thackeray, Ralph Marcus, Allen Paul Wikgren, and Louis H. Feldman. Josephus. Cambridge, Mass: Harvard University Press, 1926.
Volume 1 The Life.- Against Apion
Volume 2 The Jewish War, Books 1-3
Volume 3 The Jewish War, Books 4-7
Volume 4 The Jewish Antiquities, Books 1-4
Volume 5 The Jewish Antiquities, Books 5-8
Volume 6 The Jewish Antiquities, Books 9-11
Volume 7 The Jewish Antiquities, Books 12-14
Volume 8 The Jewish Antiquities, Books 15-17
Volume 9 The Jewish Antiquities, Books 18-20
Volume 10 General Index to Volumes 1-9
- Josephus, Flavius, Samuel Adrianus Naber, and Immanuel Bekker. Flavii Iosephi Opera omnia. Lipsiae: Teubner, 1888.
- Josephus, Flavius, and Benedikt Niese. Flavii Josephii opera. Berolini [Berlin]: Weidmann, n.d.
Targums. Jewish Interpretive Translations of the OT.
- The Babylonian Talmud
- The Palestinian/Jerusalem Talmud
General Rabbinical Studies
- Deissmann, Adolf, and A. J. Grieve. Bible Studies: Contributions, Chiefly from Papyri and Inscriptions, to the History of the Language, the Literature, and the Religion of Hellenistic Judaism and Primitive Christianity. Edinburgh: T. & T. Clark, 1901.
- Deissmann, Adolf, and Lionel R. M. Strachan. Light from the Ancient East; The New Testament Illustrated by Recently Discovered Texts of the Graeco-Roman World. London: Hodder & Stoughton, 1910.
- Moulton, James Hope, and George Milligan. The Vocabulary of the Greek Testament. London: Hodder and Stoughton, 1914.
- Milligan, George. Here & There Among the Papyri. London: Hodder and Stoughton, 1922.
- Milligan, George. Selections from the Greek Papyri. Cambridge: University Press, 1912.
- Pictures of The New Testament Papyri
- Grenfell, Bernard P., and Arthur S. Hunt. The Oxyrhynchus Papyri. London: Egypt Exploration Fund, 1898.
- POxy: Oxyrhynchus Online
- The Tebtunis Papyri
- The Hibeh Papyri
- The American Society of Papyrologists
- Yale Papyrus Collection
- Duke Papyrus Archive
- British Museum, Frederic G. Kenyon, H. Idris Bell, and W. E. Crum. Greek Papyri in the British Museum. London: British Museum, 1893.
- Papyri 52
Latin Vulgate Resources
- Vulgate.org: The Latin Vulgate Bible
- Latin Vulgate.com
- Latin Vulgate Texts
- Latin Dictionaries and Lexica
- Latin Concordances
- Latin Grammars
- Allen, Joseph Henry, J. B. Greenough, George Lyman Kittredge, Albert Andrew Howard, and Benjamin L. D’Ooge. Allen and Greenough’s New Latin Grammar for Schools and Colleges: Founded on Comparative Grammar. Boston: Ginn & Co, 1903.
- Bennett, Charles E. New Latin Grammar. Boston: Allyn and Bacon, 1918.
- Gildersleeve, Basil L. A Latin Grammar. New York: University Pub. Co, 1903.
- Kennedy, Benjamin Hall. The Public School Latin Grammar for the Use of Schools, Colleges, and Private Students. London: Longmans, Green, 1890.
- Kennedy, Benjamin Hall. The Revised Latin Primer. London: Longmans, Green, 1906.
- Plater, W. E., and H. J. White. A Grammar of the Vulgate Being an Introduction to the Study of the Latinity of the Vulgate Bible. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1926
- Collins, John F. A Primer of Ecclesiastical Latin. Washington, D.C.: Catholic University of America Press, 1985.
- Nunn, H. P. V. An Introduction to Ecclesiastical Latin, by Rev. H. P. V. Nunn. Cambridge: The University Press, 1922.
The Church Fathers
- Lake, Kirsopp, Clement, Ignatius, Polycarp, and Hermas. The Apostolic Fathers. 2 vols. Cambridge, Mass: Harvard University Press, 1912.
- Lightfoot, Joseph Barber. The Apostolic Fathers. London and New York: Macmillan and Co, 1885.
- Roberts, Alexander, and James Donaldson, eds. Ante-Nicene Christian Library; Translations of the Writings of the Fathers Down to A.D. 325. Edinburgh: T. and T. Clark, 1867.
Volume 1 The Apostolic Fathers, Justin Martyr and Irenæus
Volume 2 Fathers of the Second Century: Hermas, Tatian, Athenagoras, Theophilus, and Clement of Alexandria
Volume 3 Tertullian
Volume 4 Tertullian, Minucius Felix, Commodian, Origen
Volume 5 Hippolytus, Cyprian, Caius, Novatian
Volume 6 Gregory Thaumaturgus, Dionysius the Great, Julius Africanus, Anatolius and Minor Writers, Methodius, and Arnobius
Volume 7 Lactantius, Venantius, Asterius, Victorinus, Dionysius, Apostolic Teaching and Apostolic Constitutions, Second Clement, Early Liturgies
Volume 8 The Twelve Patriarchs, The Apocrypha of the New Testament
Volume 9 The Gospel of Peter, The Diatessaron, The Testament of Abraham, the Epistles of Clement, Origen
Volume 10 Bibliographic Synopsis and Index
- Schaff, Philip, and Henry Wace, eds. A Select Library of Nicene and Post-Nicene Fathers of the Christian Church. First Series. New York: Christian Literature Co.,1890.
Volume 1 Augustine: Confessions, Letters
Volume 2 Augustine: City of God, On Christian Doctrine
Volume 3 Augustine: On the Holy Trinity, Doctrinal Treatises, Moral Treatises
Volume 4 Augustine: Writings Against the Manicheans and Against the Donatists
Volume 5 Augustine: Anti-Pelagian Writings
Volume 6 Augustine: Sermon on the Mount, Harmony of the Gospels, Homilies on the Gospels
Volume 7 Augustine: Homilies on the Gospel of John, Homilies on the First Epistle of John, Soliloquies
Volume 8 Augustine: Expositions on the Book of Psalms
Volume 9 Chrysostom: On the Priesthood, Ascetic Treatises, Select Homilies and Letters, Homilies on the Statues
Volume 10 Chrysostom: Homilies on the Gospel of Saint Matthew
Volume 11 Chrysostom: Homilies on the Acts of the Apostles and The Epistle to the Romans
Volume 12 Chrysostom: Homilies on the Epistles of Paul to the Corinthians
Volume 13 Chrysostom: Homilies on Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, Thessalonians, Timothy, Titus, and Philemon
Volume 14 Chrysostom: Homilies on the Gospel of John and the Epistle to the Hebrews
- Schaff, Philip, and Henry Wace, eds. A Select Library of Nicene and Post-Nicene Fathers of the Christian Church. Second Series. New York: Christian Literature Co.,1886.
Volume 1 Eusebius
Volume 2 Socrates, Sozomenus
Volume 3 Theodoret, Jerome, Gennadius, Rufinus
Volume 4 Athanasius
Volume 5 Gregory of Nyssa
Volume 6 Jerome
Volume 7 Cyril of Jerusalem, Gregory of Naziazum
Volume 8 Basil
Volume 9 Chrysostom
Volume 10 Ambrose
Volume 11 Sulpitius Severus, Vincent of Lerins, John Cassian
Volume 12 Leo the Great, Gregory the Great
Volume 13 Gregory the Great, Ephraim Syrus, Apharahat
Volume 14 The Seven Ecumenical Councils
- Migne, Jacques Paul, ed. Patrologiae cursus completus, seu bibliotheca universalis, integra, uniformis, commoda, oeconomica, omnium SS. Patrum, doctorum scriptorumque ecclesiasticorum, sive latinorum, sive graecorum. Parisiis: Apud Garnier fratres, 1891.
- Eusebius, Kirsopp Lake, John Ernest Leonard Oulton, and Hugh Jackson Lawlor. The Ecclesiastical History: In Two Volumes. Cambridge, Mass: Harvard University Press, 1926.
Augustine, William Watts, W. H. D. Rouse, Augustine, and Augustine. St. Augustine’s Confessions. London: William Heinemann, 1912.
Die Griechischen Christlichen Schriftsteller (The Greek Christian Writers)
- Volume 1 Works of Hippolytus 1 Commentary on Daniel
- Volume 2 Works of Origen 1 Against Celsus I-IV
- Volume 3 Works of Origen 2 Against Celsus V-VIII
- Volume 4 Adamantius Dialogue on Right Faith in God
- Volume 5 The Book of Enoch
- Volume 6 Works of Origen 3 Homilies on Jeremiah and Fragments of Lamentations
- Volume 7 Works of Eusebius 1 Life of Constantine, Praise of Constantine, The Oration of The Emperor Constantine Which He Addresses “To The Assembly Of The Saints”
- Volume 8 The Sibylline Oracles
- Volume 9.1 The Works of Eusebius 2 Part One, The History of the Church 1
- Volume 9.2 The Works of Eusebius 2 Part Two, The History of the Church 2
- Volume 9.3 The Works of Eusebius 2 Part Three, The History of the Church 3
- Volume 10 The Works of Origen 4 Commentary on John
- Volume 11.1The Works of Eusebius 3, Part One The Onomasticon
- Volume 11.2 The Works of Eusebius 3, Part Two, The Theophania (The Divine Manifestation of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ)
- Volume 12 Clement of Alexandria 1, Protrepticus (Exhortation to the Greeks) and Paedagogus (The Instructor)
- Volume 13 Coptic Gnostic Writings ,The Faith of Sophia, The Two Books of Jeu, Unknown Old Gnostic Works
- Volume 14 The Works of Eusebius 4 Against Marcellus, Ecclesiastical Theology
- Volume 15 Clement of Alexandria 2 Stromata (Miscellanies) Books I-VI
- Volume 16 Hegemonius, Acta Archelai (The Acts of the Disputation with the Heresiarch Manes)
- Volume 17 Clement of Alexandria 2 Stromata (Miscellanies) Books VII-VIII
- Volume 18 The Apocalypse of Ezra (IV Ezra)
- Volume 19 Theodoret of Cyrus, Church History
- Volume 20 The Works of Eusebius 5, The Chronicle/The Chronicon (The Universal History) (translated from the Armenian)
- Volume 21 Philostorgius, Church History
- Volume 22 The Works of Origen 5, On First Principles
- Volume 23 The Works of Eusebius 6, The Proof of the Gospel
- Volume 24 The Works of Eusebius 7 The Chronicon of Jerome
- Volume 25 Epiphanius of Salamis 1, Ancoratus (The Well-Anchored) and Panarion (Medicine Chest) 1-33
- Volume 26 Works of Hippolytus 3, The Refutation of All Heresies
- Volume 27 Works of Methodius of Olympus
- Volume 28 Gelasius of Cyzicus, Church History
- Volume 29 The Works of Origen 6 Homilies on the Hexateuch
- Volume 30 The Works of Origen 7 Homilies on the Hexateuch
- Volume 31 Epiphanius of Salamis 2 Panarion (Medicine Chest) 34-64
- Volume 32 The Apocalypse of Ezra and The Apocalypes of Baruch
- Volume 33 The Works of Origen 8 Homilies on 1 Samuel, Song of Songs and the Prophets, Commentary on Song of Songs
- Volume 34 The Works of Eusebius 7 The Chronicon of Jerome
- Volume 35 The Works of Origen 9 Homilies on Luke
- Volume 39.1 Clement of Alexandria, Register 1
- Volume 39.2 Clement of Alexandria, Register 2
- Volume 40 The Works of Origen 10, Commentary on Matthew I
- Volume 41.1 The Works of Origen 12, Commentary on Matthew III 1
- Volume 43.1 The Works of Eusebius 8, Preparation for the Gospel
- Volume 48, The Apostolic Fathers, The Shepherd of Hermas
Charles, R. H. The Apocrypha and Pseudepigrapha of the Old Testament in English: With Introductions and Critical and Explanatory Notes to the Several Books. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1913.